Monday, September 25, 2006

 

Major rain storm

We had a major rain storm over the weekend. There were over 3 inches of rain in the rain guage and the bucket in the backyard was full. My guess is 6 to 7 inches in about 4 hours at my house. The major event was a leaking skylight in the living room. We posted buckets and moved furniture and today I called a guy to fix that.

In the yard I went out during the rain to watch the water wash away my mulch. It didn't do it. The wood chips that I put down when they took out the tree just sat there with the water rushing by. Further down the large pine nuggets floated from the beginning of the pathway to the false gate at the end of the path to the woods. They stopped there. The water was running fast over the landscape fabric, but it held in place. This morning I used the pitchfork to move all the stuff back where it belonged. It looks like nothing happened in the back yard at all.

The area around the parking pad for the RV holds a couple of inches of water. That means that the front lawn will be pretty soft for a while and I better not plan on using the RV for a week or so. The parking pad for the RV does not seem to cause water to get too close to the house; one of my worries when I put in the pad.

This evening I noticed that the steel cable holding the Bradford pear together had come out from one of the branches. I need to call and have it reattached.

Still pulling burmuda grass.

I put up a hummingbird feeder. I am using a solution of 1 cup of water to 1/4 cup of sugar for the syrup. Three of the hummers zoomed by me this afternoon as I was pulling grass.



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?